[ale] File “ropes”

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 14:32:09 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 13:30 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > I googled "mount segmented dd image" and this was the first hit.
> >

> http://davnads.blogspot.com/2009/11/linux-mount-split-dd-file-images.html
> >
> > I think there are other ways, but the key is to use multiple losetup
> > commands to access your segments.
>
> Oh!  I hadn't even thought of using mdadm for that.  Such an obvious
> thing I am embarrassed I hadn't thought of it!
>
> *headdesk*
>
> Thanks!
>
>        --- Mike

I work with "segmented" dd files like this all the time.  I haven't had to
mount them manually like this very often, but I have at least 4 commercial
products I can think of that will expose the underlying filesystem info so I
can analyse them.  (X-ways, Encase, FTK, Mount Image Pro).

So I knew right away what to google for.

fyi: Computer Forensics is the overall field that all of my tools fall into.

Greg