[ale] Comcast cable modem - incompatible?

John Gammons jgammons at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 09:33:48 EDT 2010

No....  Mike was spot on 2 days ago.  DOCSIS 3.0 is the only one that supports IPv6.  Quote from link below...

"DOCSIS® 3.0 provides a number of enhancements, most notably, channel bonding, support for IPv6,and support for IPTV. Channel bonding provides cable operators with a flexible way to significantly increase speeds to customers, with compliant devices supporting up to at least 160 Mbps in the downstream and 120 Mbps in the upstream."

All Tier II ISPs will run out of IPv4 addresses sometime next year, which means that all Tier II ISPs will run at the very least, some sort of dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 environment within the next year across all of their markets, as well as implementing other transition technologies in an attempt to ease the transition to IPv6 while supporting legacy IPv4.  If it doesn't affect you yet, it will very soon.  There is no real downside to this except the $50-$100 for a newer cable modem, which in most cases is provided.  The faster speeds of DOCSIS 3.0 will also ease congestion, even if it doesn't result in higher bandwidth for you.

All of the versions of DOCSIS "can" be backwards/forwards compatible, if implemented at the head-end to be compatible, not all that unlike every other progressing standard.  Think wifi... B, G, N compatibility is a requirement from the equipment vendors, but an "option" in configuration of the AP and end devices, not a requirement.  For instance, nearly all ISPs already do not allow DOCSIS 1.0 devices as this is very insecure from a theft of service perspective.  DOCSIS 3.0 implements some very key changes at the hardware level, so in nearly all cases, it is not just a software upgrade from 2.0.

Without upgrading their systems to DOCSIS 3.0, you will end up sharing public IPv4 ip addresses with other subscribers on a large scale (ie large scale NAT).  You want DOCSIS 3.0 to be deployed.  Even if it doesn't improve your service, it saves you from having degraded service in the coming years....

Don't just accept it, embrace it....

One note, that actually pertains to the list, is System Admins should take the time now to plan for IPv6 on your systems, especially public facing web servers and AAAA records, and IPv4 literals in web pages, as more and more customers will be reliant on you supporting IPv6 in the next year or so, as these Tier II ISPs, and their customers, transition.  Also, it is probably a good idea to think of the effect a large scale NAT or dual NATs (most notably protocols with embedded IP addresses) may have on your system access, and attempt to prepare, as we'll probably see some of this in the next year as well.

And with that, I step down from my soap box.

John