[ale] LUG at GT Meeting - 2010.10.06 - Video Encoding

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Oct 4 22:36:08 EDT 2010

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010, William Bagwell wrote:

> On Monday 04 October 2010, Ryan Curtin wrote:
>> snips
>> Permits now cost $632 for one year.
>
> Boggle! They were only $100 in 1989 and I thought that was outrageous.
> Especially since I worked at the Cobb county facility which had plenty of
> parking and never drove my personal vehicle to the main campus.
> --

At least Tech is within a city. I know of a suburban campus where the
faculty get a discount to $700 or so to get a campus parking sticker.
No idea what the student's get. Of course there is bus service, two
of them if I'm not mistaken, once an hour each. Visiter parking
seems to run me about $4 every time I make the error of going onto
campus.

OTOH, is the problem with the college/university which has to come
up with the bread to fund the parking space & police same, or is
the problem with our utter dependence upon the car to get anywhere
in this country? (A segue (sp?) into off topic land if I ever saw
one.)