[ale] LUG at GT Meeting - 2010.10.06 - Video Encoding

Ryan Curtin ryan at igglybob.com
Mon Oct 4 18:09:07 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 03:45:44PM -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
>    On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Ryan Curtin <[1]ryan at igglybob.com> wrote:
>
>      And yes, it should be noted that while I did say "the parking situation
>      at Tech has never been easy" I meant maybe in the last ten or fifteen
>      years.
>      Ryan
>
>    The parking sucked in 1980 when I first attended GT. Then they build "the
>    flood lot" under the tennis courts and the first heavy rain drowned 40
>    cars on the bottom floor. Parking pass then was around $20/quarter.
>
>    "Walking campuses" are the current craze in college planning. They do
>    leave access roads for delivery and police but want all else closed. Then
>    they wonder why the big meetings get held off campus.
>
>    At least Tech has the buses.

What gets me about all this is the justification.  This is from the
first few pages of the Master Plan document:

"Third, open space must be planned in both ecological and human
dimensions, and these dimensions overlap and interrelate.  The
importance of this new approach points to ecology, whereby living and
non-living elements within an environment are known to be inter-related.
It is only by this concept that the issues of environmental
sustainability, such as stormwater management, can be effectively
addressed.  Planning campus livability also requires this inclusive
concept, because the human experience of the Tech campus knits
everything together -- walkways, roadways, gathering places, parking
places, play places, etc."

Huh?

But yeah, it should be noted that the Tech Trolley has two stops which
place you in striking distance of our meetings.

--
Ryan Curtin       | "Hold still."
ryan at igglybob.com |   - Mr. Blonde