[ale] Comcast cable modem - incompatible?

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Oct 2 14:25:58 EDT 2010

Comcast is gradually migrating their entire network to do DOCSIS 3, as
well as IPv6.  I'd suspect that one of the reasons that they want
newer modems on the network is the ability to acquire IPv6 addresses
on the Comcast network.  Their trials are going well, from what I have
seen.

I've been on DOCSIS 3 service since just before the start of 2010, and
I have to say that I am really liking it.  I am not getting the 70Mbps
that I used to, as that was something that I got as part of the trial
that we were in when I was in Dunwoody, but I have 30Mbps.  I could
get the faster one, but I'm not willing to pay that much extra.  :-)

In any case, I'd recommend getting a new DOCSIS 3 modem anyway.  The
SB5100 series is getting pretty dated...

   --- Mike