[ale] GParted & unallocated space

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Sat Oct 2 12:11:26 EDT 2010

We use the Dell PowerEdge servers (various models) and RHEL install
quite nicely on those as does CentOS.  I've used everything from RHEL2.1
to RHEL5.5 (and CentOS 5.5) on them.  I've also installed Fedora on a
few.   Also have seen it installed on an Optiplex desktop.

The only big trouble I ever had was trying to install Fedora 7 on an old
2450 once - turned out the issue was it had a newer MegaRAID driver for
the PERC 2.0 (RAID) controller that wasn't compatible.   Later I found
that the older driver was there as well but had to be selected manually
during the install.   Other than that I have seen a couple of older
Dells e.g the 1300 that required me to set ide=nodma or something like
that so it would properly use the CD drive during the install.

Dell had announced they were supporting Ubuntu on their systems some
time ago.  (That may have been laptops.)

I actually have an HP Desktop waiting to be loaded with RHEL as a
personal workstation.   It will interesting to see if there are issues