[ale] Streaming video for Linux?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 17:34:08 EST 2010

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 03:48 PM, Mark Wright wrote:
>> Boxee seems to be a good choice.  I was looking at their site and they
>> will give you Linux Boxee software for free!  What's not to love!
>>
> I already installed boxee on my laptop, got it setup & even watched a
> youtube video!!!
> wow, that is NEAT!

for whatever reason Boxee's performance on my local media isn't as good
as XBMC.  granted I'm using a dedicated laptop for my "media computer"
right now, but it has no problems with the various streaming or other
playback.

oh, and having my netbook as my "remote" is nice.  just navigate to the
IP address of your media server and use the GUI.  :)

I'll look around, but I believe there is a Boxee livecd.  I know I had
one at some point in time.  the XBMC Live uses Ubuntu and does a pretty
decent job.

there was talk of a Puppy (or Arch?) liveusb at one point too.  haven't
checked on those in a while.