[ale] Streaming video for Linux?

william witt william at witt-family.net
Tue Nov 30 07:48:03 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Mark Wright <m.perry.wright at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just cancelled my week old Netflix membership because the xBox we were
> watching it on suddenly wanted $10 a month to continue and Netflix won't
> support Linux.  Seems it uses Silverlight so it just checks your platform
> and won't even give it a try if it doesn't see evidence of the Redmond over
> Lord.
> Are there any services as good as Netflix that will stream to a Linux box?
>
> Mark Wright
> m.perry.wright at gmail.com

1) I hope you made it clear to netflix why you canceled.  Maybe
they'll get the message and switch to a DRM free stream.

2) the 360 requires an XBox Live Gold account $70 a year or so,
however streaming to the Wii does not require anything ither than a
connection (neither does the PS3 if I'm not mistaken.)  So there are
other options if you have other consoles.

3) I know of no comparable streaming service, Linux supported or not

Will