[ale] Boot issues - OR - why Mafia$oft hurts/disappoints everyone endlessly

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Mon Nov 29 18:46:41 EST 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> to portables... Fagetaboutit. No one come close to Apple's size
> constraints and build quality. Maybe Sony, but they are more expensive
> than Apple for lesser specs.

I bought a very nice 18.4" Sony laptop and have been very very happy with
it. I'd say about par with Apple for similiar specs (I -almost- bought the
Macbook Pro), once you discount the OS and Application licenses from
Apple.

I tend to buy hardware I know (or at least think I know) will run Linux
well, solves a lot of issues. Linux on good hardware sings and dances
like Fred Astair and Ginger Rodgers.

And I had to check: My home media center is running a 1.5tb Seagate
as Ext3 with bare (/dev/sda1) non-LVM style drives with no issues.
It was running Mythbuntu, but I went back to straight Ubuntu 10.04 a
while ago. It used to dual boot, but Linux's midi / sound software
got good enough I no longer needed windows at all. It dual booted
without issues, it no longer has Windows at all. My wife is still in
Windows mode for some things, but is loving a Linux netbook for general
use.. she is slowly converting.

Avast yelling "Virus database updated" may alone be a reason for the final
swap once she is out of school (in 2 weeks, yahoo!).

Wouldn't be the first time a dos boot disk and "fdisk /mbr" fixed some
boot weirdness.