[ale] Boot issues - OR - why Mafia$oft hurts/disappoints everyone endlessly

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Nov 29 00:49:52 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 00:22 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> At this point its time to try a different distro. Grab fedora 13 or 14
> in a
> live cd and boot it up. See if it finds both drives. If so please post
> back
> the /boot/grub/grub.conf or menu.1st file. There can be two places to
> define
> where / is. One is global the other is specific per boot kernel. I
> suspect
> the later is wrong as it loads a kernel.

I have to concur with this.  This has been mentioned a couple of times
to try another distro.  Not because we want you to switch but because we
are trying to determine the source of the problem.  My reasons are very
likely to be very different than other people's reasons but I do most of
my debugging on Fedora.

I will also say again to...  Grab a copy of NST (minimal - no GUI) and
fire it up.  If it boots (and I will be shocked if it doesn't with a
modern processor) log into the console and dump /proc/partitions
and /proc/cpuinfo for us and maybe give us the output of hdparam
-i /dev/sd{ab} and smartctl -i /dev/sd{ab}.  If it doesn't boot, find an
earlier version but that, in and of itself, is saying something very
dark and fundamental about your hardware.

> Also try reinstall with windows drive fully disconnected and set for
> boot
> drive only new Linux drive. Be sure to fully reformat the drive in the
> process.

Regards,
Mike