[ale] I'm confused

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Thu Nov 18 23:04:14 EST 2010

When I bought my car they offered me a 7 year warranty for $N.
I asked what happened if I totaled my car and I did not need the
warranty.  They said they would give me a prorated return on the $N -
$50 fee.
That may sound good, but the car comes with 5 year warranty.
They are on the hook only the last two years, but if you return the
warranty, they prorate from the beginning.
I said no thanks.

FWIW: Apple has the same deal on their 'AppleCare'.  It starts from
when you bought the computer.  There is no way to get it extended.
Apple goes out of their way to make that clear.