[ale] best cross platform development evironment

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Nov 16 17:43:55 EST 2010

Frederick and Brian,

Thanks for the info on these libraries.  I have looked at them briefly, and
plan to explore them in more depth.  Based on discussions in this thread
and some of my own research, I've decided to reverse my prior plan and
learn C++ instead of C#.  Either should be an employable job skill.  I
still like both languages from a technical point of view.  I just need to
get back in the groove after being away from it for 15 years.  The
following factors influenced my decision (in no particular order).

C++ has the following vs C#.

1) Less potential legal problems
2) More portability, maybe
3) Libraries available for garbage collection, databases, threads, etc.
4) Other libraries as mentioned in the posts below for various functions
5) Procedures and features to reduce memory leaks, pointer problems
6) The ability to create a stand alone executable, without using a VM
7) Possibly better performance
8) Many open source projects use C++, which I might like to contribute my
new skills to

I bought Bjarne Stroustrup's book - Programming Principles and Practice
using C++.  It looks pretty good.  This one is oriented toward 1st semester
students, which will be good for me since I've been away from this task for
quite a while.  If, I'm aggressive, I may be able to finish the "basics" in
this book (1000+ pages worth) in a few months and move on to more advanced
things.  The book uses MS Visual C++ as the development environment, so I
can use that when I'm dual booting into Windows.  However, they point out
that you can compile C++ on many systems, and gives a little info about
compiling using GCC in Linux.  They use a 3rd party GUI library rather than
Winforms, and I think their code is portable across various systems.

If anyone has advice for setting up an IDE and compiler on the Linux side
of the fence (Ubuntu 10.04), I'd be glad to hear it.

Sincerely,

Ron

At 11/10/2010 01:18 AM -0500, Frederick wrote:
>Some other C++ libraries are
><http://www.cs.wustl.edu/%7Eschmidt/ACE-overview.html>ACE and
><http://www.boost.org/>Boost, which I have both used.  Apache has
><http://xerces.apache.org/xerces-c/>Xerces for C++, and even a
><http://ws.apache.org/axis/cpp/index.html>C++ web services implementation
>(which I have not used).
>
>On 11/09/2010 09:06 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:
>>
>>On 11/09/2010 12:53 PM, Ron Frazier wrote:
>>>
>>>OK.  You guys, along with the inventor of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup, make a
>>>strong case for avoiding encumbered languages.  I MIGHT consider learning
>>>C++ for my own purposes, assuming I can get good libraries for garbage
>>>collection (apparently available), threads, GUI, databases, cryptography /
>>>security, file operations, printing, user I/O, USB, sound, and
>>>sockets.
>>

>>Have you looked at QT and kdelibs?
>>
>><http://qt.nokia.com/products/library/modular-class-library>http://qt.nokia.com/products/library/modular-class-library
>>http://api.kde.org/4.0-api/kdelibs-apidocs/index.html