[ale] Extracting dovecot email

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Nov 16 16:14:10 EST 2010

Does anyone know how to extract mail in a usable way from Dovecot
mailboxes given the presence of the "cur" (inbox folder directory
apparently) and .<folder> directories.

In the cur directory I find individual ASCII files that more or less
correspond to the email I see in a web view.   However in the directory
names that begin with a dot that correspond to other folers seen in the
web view (sans dot) there are files like:

courierimapacl

courierimapuiddb

dovecot.index

dovecot.index.cache

dovecot.index.log

dovecot-uidlist

Online I see the dovecot.index is the main index file and that
dovecot.index.cache contains the data of the emails.   While I can see
some header information in the cache that corresponds to emails seen in
web view it is clear there is some formatting here that prevents me from
seeing the entire message at command line.

We recently bought another company and are attempting to archive the
email that is currently hosted by a 3rd party web/mail hosting company
as we will be eliminating that hosting once we move the users to our in
house systems.   I was able to use wget to download everything from the
Cpanel at the hosting company including the mail in the format above.

Most of what I find online regarding Dovecot email talks about
converting things to it rather than away from it or from one of its
mailbox types to another.