[ale] Missing desktop icons after upgrading to Fedora 14

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 17:12:32 EST 2010

Upgraded to Fedora 14, keeping my original /home filesystem, over the
weekend. So far the only issue I can't seem to resolve is the fact that
when I first login I'm missing all my icons on the desktop. The
wallpaper is there, and both top and bottom panels with their respective
icons are all there. If I open my desktop in nautilus, they will appear
again. I am using Gnome desktop with compiz-fusion and emerald themes.

I did a fresh install blowing off all but /home, allowing all other LVs
to be reformatted. I set /home to mounted and used but not formatted.
When I recreated my user I manually set the user # and group # and did
not create /home/userid. I made sure that I used the same #s as
originally used on Fedora 13. On first boot it did flash a warning
briefly in regards to my user setup, but I was not able to catch it and
it doesn't seem to have shown up in the logs. I also had been in Fedora
13 use my desktop wallpaper for the gdm background and I can't seem to
do it in Fedora 14

Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the icon issue? The
background issue is more of a minor thing and is not a big deal, just
nice if I can get it to work again.