[ale] collaborative work environment

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Tue Nov 9 22:02:55 EST 2010

Here is a good thread on stackoverflow on how to use the seldom used svn
feature to lock on checkout:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1184316/how-do-i-do-an-exclusive-checkout-in-svn

The thread describes how to set up an automatic lock when someone checks out
one of the documents.  As long as the other users are trained to not
override a lock, then the document will not get overwritten.

I use and am happy with assembla.com for a paid svn/git hosting service.
They have a custom ticket management system integrated into the svn/git
hosting service.  If you include the ticket number in the svn comment you
get an easy to follow history of changes associated with the ticket.

I use Jira at work;  It is very powerful, but because there are so many
options it can take a while to get comfortable with it.