[ale] best cross platform development evironment

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Nov 9 13:31:44 EST 2010

Here's a link I forgot to post before.

http://www.scala-lang.org/

This is supposed to be a multi-paradigm highly scalable language.  Looks
pretty interesting.  Here's some stuff from their web site.  I don't know
how relevant this would be to the original poster's project.

Sincerely,

Ron

------------------------------------

Introducing Scala

Scala is a general purpose programming language designed to express common
programming patterns in a concise, elegant, and type-safe way. It smoothly
integrates features of object-oriented and functional languages, enabling
Java and other programmers to be more productive. Code sizes are typically
reduced by a factor of two to three when compared to an equivalent Java
application.

Many existing companies who depend on Java for business critical
applications are turning to Scala to boost their development productivity,
applications scalability and overall reliability.

For example, at Twitter, the social networking service, Robey Pointer moved
their core message queue from Ruby to Scala. This change was driven by the
company's need to reliably scale their operation to meet fast growing Tweet
rates, already reaching 5000 per minute during the Obama Inauguration.
Robeys thinking behind the Twitter Kestrel project is explained in the
developers live journal. His concise 1500 lines of Scala code can be seen
as he has generously made them available as an open source project.

Many top-notch programmers and industry leaders have already been
captivated by Scala. They have become quite vocal encouraging others,
creating a growing range of books on Scala and an almost endless supply of
tips for Java programmers new to Scala, some of which are collected in
"Java to Scala with the help of experts". While here on the scala-lang
site, there is a broad range of material too, from introductory Scala
tutorials to advanced language research topics, or look at some Scala code
examples, or just get started by installing Scala now.

Seamless integration with Java

Existing Java code and programmer skills are fully re-usable. Scala
programs run on the Java VM, are byte code compatible with Java so you can
make full use of existing Java libraries or existing application code. You
can call Scala from Java and you can call Java from Scala, the integration
is seamless. Moreover, you will be at home with familiar development tools,
Eclipse, NetBeans or Intellij for example, all of which support Scala. It
does not take long to become an effective Scala programmer when you are
half way there already!