[ale] best cross platform development evironment

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 09:28:59 EST 2010

Yeah, I've built at least one reasonably fast GUI with WxPython (
http://www.wxpython.org/ ) in front of a SQLite database.  I've also
written a lot of perl. The learning curve between perl and python
isn't all that daunting, 'specially if you already have some C and
Java under your belt.  Python is also quite stylish, and for an
increasing number of people it is their first exposure to actual
programming.  That means that you're probably going to be able to find
Python programmers pretty easily going forward, if one of your current
team shoots his wife or decides to leave in a huff.

Python lacks the extraordinary library depth of Perl (
http://www.cpan.org/ ), although the standard release comes with a
pretty good basic API.  There are signs ( http://pypi.python.org/pypi
) that could change over the next few years.  And there are some
marvelous Python-based web development environments (
http://www.zope.org/ ) ( http://www.cherrypy.org/ ),

That said, if you and your team already have experience with another
language, I'm not sure I'd try a whole new one just for the
entertainment value. Unless, of course, entertainment is what you're
after.   <<ducks>>

-- CHS