[ale] best cross platform development evironment

LinuxGnome lnxgnome at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 03:51:06 EST 2010

On 11/08/2010 09:10 PM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Trying to decide on the best cross platform development environment.
> Right now, considering Java, C++ and QT.
>
> Concerns about Java because of who now owns it.
>
> Have to develop an application that will run on both Windows desktops
> and Linux desktops.
>
> Insights, suggestions?

I haven't done any serious programming, outside of bash, in a long long time, but one of the guys here, a career programmer, raves about the 'D' programming language and gave a presentation at the local LUG.

Check out 'D' at http://www.digitalmars.com/d/
Its focus is on combining the power and high performance of C and C++ with the programmer productivity of modern languages like Ruby and Python.

You'll immediately note, it says it is a "systems programming language," but it also has cross-platform libs for the GUI: http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GuiLibraries

--
No longer Lost in Tokyo,
  Keith