[ale] best cross platform development evironment

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Nov 8 15:45:17 EST 2010

Hello all,

Interesting that this topic should come up again.  I have been wrestling
with exactly this question myself - which modern language to learn to
further my career after having learned Clipper (a C like database language)
15 years ago.  I unintentionally started a firestorm on this list back in
September by posting a message with this subject: Hello World - in C# - in
Mono - in Ubuntu is done.  Anyone interested can look up that thread,
although a few would probably rather forget it.

There are many people with passionate opinions.  I cannot speak to the
legal ramifications of using this or that language.  I will say that I
certainly have serious reservations about Java and Android at this point
because of Oracle's apparent intent to destroy anything FOSS that it got
from Sun.  There also appears to be some risk of using C# based on prior
discussions, as well as MS history.  I'm not even going to attempt to jump
into the MS is / is not evil debate.

I want to talk about the technological aspects of the language.  From that
point of view only, here's why I'm most likely going to be learning
C#.  (Caveat: I'm not super knowledgeable about all the new whizbang
programming technology developed since I last did programming
professionally.  Also, plans can always change.)

Here are some quotes from the thread I was participating in a couple of
months ago, for those who haven't seen it.

<quote>

... I want the following from my language of choice:

Modern, high performance (but not real-time, for drivers, or kernels),
object oriented, multi threaded, capable of usage for desktop, server, or
network based applications.  In my mind, the candidates are:
       C++, C#, Java

</quote>

(Being able to program mobile devices - smart phones and tablets would be
nice as well.)

<quote>

In terms of performance, the list above should be in order of fastest to
slowest.  Also, my personal experience with Java applications indicates
they tend to be slower than native applications.

I want my language to protect the programmer from bugs like memory leaks
and pointer errors.  (Managed Code)  That knocks out C++.  Both Java and C#
are resistant  to those types of errors and have automatic garbage
collection as far as I  know.  Remaining candidates:
       C#, Java

</quote>

(At this point, I am more worried about Oracle being evil than I am
Microsoft, although one might argue it's a toss up.  In any case, I'm
excluding Java from my immediate consideration because of Oracle.)

<quote>

I want my language to be cross platform.  Java is well known for
this.  However, through the Mono project, as well as possibly others, it
appears that C# is very cross platform as well.  I believe the situation
has been improving recently.  A Google search on C# cross platform yields
948,000 results.  Also, the following link on the Mono site lists 20+
applications that have been written in Mono.

http://mono-project.com/Screenshots

Finally, I want my language to be able to produce self contained free
standing applications.  As far as I know, this knocks out Java.

</quote>

An explanation of that last item.  In the old days, you could compile your
program, dump it in a folder along with maybe some DLL's, and run it.  You
didn't have to necessarily install it, per se.  I'd like to be able to do
that, at least for simple applications.  I know you cannot do that with
Java without the JRE installed.  I really don't know if you can do it with
C# or not.

So, I end up back at C# as the language of choice.  I'll leave with a quote
from my prior posting.

<quote>

 From what I can tell, there is no modern, medium-high performance, object
oriented, multi-threaded, multi-core capable language in wide use that is
not encumbered by patents.  That's very discouraging.

</quote>

Sincerely,

Ron