[ale] ubuntu IMAP does't work, neither does wireless

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Nov 3 18:07:26 EDT 2010

On 11/03/2010 04:53 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> now on to ubuntu... wireless doesn't work, couldn't connect to my
> router. so I installed wicd. tha always worked before. THis time, nada.
> says bad password. boot to XP, connects fine.

Can you provide more info than "couldn't connect"? At what point does it
fail?  Maybe there is some information in /var/log/daemon.log from when
you were trying to connect via NetworkManager?

> I was trying to setup an IMAP account back to my desktop, but it also
> times out, no connection, as does ssh. ssh worked in windows, so I'm
> thinking iptables maybe? on my debian desktop, kern.log & messages both
> show an entry for my laptop where I tried to ssh, something about
> Inbound... SRC=my_ip, DST=debian IP.... so I'm not getting it..

So you're trying to ssh from your Ubuntu 10.10 laptop to your Debian
desktop and it doesn't work? Add the -v argument so ssh and see what it
reports.

What are your iptables rules in Debian? YOu say you see entries int he
logs when you try to connect, but what have you told iptables to log?
Allowed connections? Dropped connections? Something else?

Do you have the same IP address when you boot Windows and when you boot
Ubuntu on the laptop?

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts