[ale] recovering a software raid setup

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Nov 3 15:49:05 EDT 2010

On 11/03/2010 03:25 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a fedora box that quit booting in the middle of an upgrade.
>
> fdisk -l shows the partition tables are still in tact, so I assume the
> data is as well.
>
> I'd like to mount a data filesystem and back it up prior to
> proceeding, or even re-installing from scratch.
>
> It's not a box I setup, but per my understanding:
>
> Sda5 and sdb5 are MD5
> Sdc3 and sdd3 are MD6
>
> Md5 and md6 are stripped to md10 /opt/ie
>
> I tried "dmraid -ay" from a rescue DVD and it says there are no raid
> arrays which is strange.

It's my understanding that dmraid is for managing ataraid (aka fakeraid)
and mdadm is for managing linux software raid. Do you know which the box
is using? You could run 'mdadm -E' on a partition to see if it is using
linux software raid

> Can anyone help me out?  Or point me at a good rescue website?

I'm not sure what rescue DVD you're already using. The first thing I
might do is boot up SystemRescueCd [0] and see if it assembles the RAID
automatically. If not, it gives you a nice environment for poking around.

[0] http://sysresccd.org/Main_Page

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts