[ale] cabling and GA

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Mar 30 16:39:38 EDT 2010

On 03/30/2010 03:08 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> If making dd copies of hard drives requires a PI license in GA, I'm
> sure you have to have some kind of license to lay cable.
>
> fyi: As I read the law you also have to have a PI license to be a
> forensic accountant, to run a rape kit in a hospital, or any number of
> other activities.  The key is if your documenting evidence for a court
> case, you need a PI license.

So in other words, if you're doing any of those activities for a client
or whatever, but it's not for the purpose of going to court, you don't
have to have a PI license, is that correct?

Why would one need such a license to take an image of a hard disk or
some other type of media?  That seems to me like the state just grasping
for reasons to put money in its pocket.  I mean, anyone can take a
precise, bit-for-bit backup of a hard disk drive using dd, if they have
the hardware to move the bits to.  I would think that if you were
*interpreting* data for the court, though, that you would then _maybe_
need a license or credential of some sort that says you know what you're
doing, though thankfully it's typically pretty easy to figure out
definitively what happened how, since most users never clean up when
they do things because they think that deleting a file is great
security, for some reason.

Would that also mean that if I tell someone what happened on a drive or
that someone is hiding things and show them how, that I would be
violating law if that went eventually went to court but not if it wasn't
headed that direction at the time that I told them what was going on?

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475