[ale] cabling and GA

scott scott at sboss.net
Tue Mar 30 15:28:18 EDT 2010

unless something has changed recently it doesnt take a license to lay
cat5.  Hell to do fibre is a half day course with a certificate.  And
that it technically not required by law but most people having fibre
laid will ask for the cert.  Now most people that do lay cat5
professionally (on a daily basis) are some form of an electrician.
>From extreme apprentice to full blown electricians.  When I worked for
the state, I laid many many miles of cat3, cat4, and then cat5 cable.
And I wasnt a cable person.  I was just an able bodied IT person
during the down periods that they could corner and make run teh
cables.  After I left that site they hired an electrician to monitor
the install jobs done by non-electricians. (he has some other duties
too).

I took a 1 hour cat5 course when it first came out.  we talked about
the differences between cat3/4 and cat5 and had to lay cable in a wall
then terminate the ends.  The slowest person in my class (using this
term oh so loosely) was finished in 1:15.  And that was the class and
test all in one.  Somewhere I have the cert that says I am certified
to lay the cable.  And no one has ever asked me for one.

just my 2 cents.