[ale] nvidia news

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Sat Mar 27 08:36:25 EDT 2010

Interesting...

When I spec'd this box back in 2005 I was doing a lot of comparisons
between ATI and Nvidia but the platform was to be XP x64 to run apps
like Blender and Corel and them move to SuSE 10.1 but that move was
delayed for various reasons (lots of bad reviews on 10.1).

Work kept me so busy that I didn't have time to tinker with my box (just
manage the 1000+ boxes at work) so it wasn't until now that I have the
time to do this.

Based upon what I'm seeing today, random screen corruption, driver
integration and support issues; I'm not too hot on Nvidia anymore.  I
know ATI didn't have the best track record for Linux which is part of
the reason why I was looking to SuSE and Nvidia combination.  Too bad I
came to not prefer SuSE (9.10 is something that I'm happiest with so
far).

I'm still tinkering with this over the weekend and am about to do some
more testing before my onsite this PM.