[ale] (no subject)

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Mar 26 00:04:58 EDT 2010

On 03/25/2010 11:34 PM, Rich Faulkner wrote:
> Yeah...I could do that but that's not really the point.  I'm ditching
> the Windows world for Linux and am starting at home.  I'm getting ready
> to start Linux certs and recant from my MCSE way of life.
>
> At one time I had tried hacking the randr entries but all that did was
> get 1680x1050 listed in the drop-down for resolution selections but was
> not recognized as a valid resolution on selection.  Very curious...
>
> Since I've gotten over that hump and found that a simple config file
> will do the trick I'm looking elsewhere as the culprit that's causing
> this video failure.  NV indicates it as an X issue and in looking at the
> boot sequence I'm driven to suspect it as an X issue as well.  But then
> again I am a noob to Ubuntu as having been away from Unix/Linux for
> 10-years on any consistent basis.  Getting ready to start on certs for
> Linux and turn from the "darkside".

My thought is that if you use the proprietary, binary-only nvidia driver
you're throwing away all the work you did getting a working xorg.conf
with the free, open source nv driver.

Whatever it is that you want to do with the nvidia graphics tools,
perhaps there is another way of doing it that does not depend on
proprietary software.

It might also be worth booting the Ubuntu 10.04 beta live cd, which
replaces the nv driver with the noveau driver, to see how well it works.

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/beta1

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts