[ale] DVD ripping tools & distro of choice?

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 14:01:14 EDT 2010

On 03/23/2010 09:26 AM, Preston Boyington wrote:
> Richard Bronosky wrote:
>> Because the movie studios are actively breaking all the efforts made
>> toward DVD ripping, the rippers must be actively maintained. For that
>> reason, I prefer to pay someone to fight the fight for me. I use
>> http://ripitapp.com/ because it rips the new technologies far earlier
>> than other apps.
>>

> I'm a big fan of DVDFab.  They offer a free 'DVD Decrypter' as a
> download.  Basically I use it to pull the info to hard drive and that is
> what I use as the source for Handbrake.

Needs Windows, I don't do windows. So far I've had no problem with
ddrescue. It's been able to retrieve scratched DVDs, although I have 1st
season of House MD that has never seen the light of day except to be
ripped before my Seagate issues, I've had to rerip it again, but was
uable to complete. It seems that when I removed it during the 1st
ripping the DVD drawer had started closing causing it to scratch it,
although at the time I didn't realizes how bad. This time however it
took 4 hours to only get half of the DVD and at one point 100% CPU and
all four temp monitors hit the red zone. I guess I have a new coaster
and Hollywood gets more tax money.

By the way I've noticed that the problems with DVD/CD eject seems to
have returned and it's worse now. I now wait a full 30 seconds before
removing the disk from the drawer. I have had it after eject pausing for
15 sec and then closing on its own. Possessed players? Both the player
and burner eventually will do it. There was a fix in the past which I
was able to get to work, but I can't seem to find it now, any clues?
(uname -r = 2.6.32.9-70.fc12.x86_64)