[ale] DVD ripping tools & distro of choice

Ryan Marshall rymarshall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 08:53:35 EDT 2010

> Handbrake + [insert OS here]
>
> handbrake makes it amazingly simple and intuitive to archive your DVD
> collection. It does use libdvdcss, so the medibuntu repos are required
> (or vlc installation if you're on a windows or OS X platform).
>
> It has removed support of some of the more common container formats in
> the most recent releases (avi), but in truth, avi is old and needs to die.
>
> I prefer MPEG4 container + h264 codec.
>
> Adam

Another Handbrake user here.  Although I use the CLI version mostly
with my home server.  Transcoding video on an Atom is slow and it
might take 6 hours to do a movie as opposed to 90 minutes on my main
computer, but if it's over in the corner doing it's thing, what do I
care.  I'll usually rip overnight or pop the movie in before I leave
for work and SSH back in to rip it.