[ale] uptime

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Mar 17 17:42:40 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 16:46 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> >
> >> Too long.  Internal box, you can't get to it from there.  I promise. ;)
> >
> > Make sure nobody brings up any IPv6 routing on you.  You could be in for
> > a REAL surprise.  You don't get any warning.  Even if you are deep
> > behind an IPv4 NAT.

> This is a box here at home.  No IPv6 running on any of my boxes.

Make sure you don't have any Mac's or the Mac AirPort Express access
points either.  Oh, and if you've got any Wifi access points running
dd-wrt, you might check those versions as well.  You never can
tell.  :-)

Google discovered an unexpectedly high number of IPv6 users from the
United States, placing the US in 5th place for IPv6 adoption.  Most of
that (but not all of that) was from Mac books and Mac Airport Express
AP's that have IPv6 and 6to4 enabled by default.  And yes, they do
advertise and yes they do route other devices.  As time goes on, this is
going to become more and more common.  Even Comcast is opening up a Beta
program for IPv6.  It's not if.  It's when.  You can expect more and
more consumer NAT devices and AP's to be picking up the banner.  Doesn't
cost them a thing to support it.

Mike