[ale] Do people still roll their own Linux desktops?

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Wed Mar 17 10:52:54 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Greg Clifton <gccfof5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a 20+ year veteran "hardware peddler", I can say with some authority that
> it pretty much comes down to two questions (1) How much do you want to
> spend? (2) How much customization do you want?

True.  In my case I want to drive down both (1) and (2) enough that I
won't feel bad buying another system in a couple of years.

> Which CPU to use? Until the past year or so, AMD was better for general
> computing tasks, but Intel has pretty much kicked AMD to the curb with the
> Nehalem family of CPUs and in fact just introduced today their newest 32nm,
> 6-core processors with AES encryption instructions in the higher end
> processors.

Since I don't do heavy-duty work at home, AMDs should be adequate to
my needs.  As long as my Java IDE is zippy and flash runs okay in my
browser I'm fine.

> Now, as to buying a built system vs. the do-it-yourself, if you buy a good
> name brand such as HP or Dell, you can still get a good system for very
> little money.   [big snip]    A couple
> of sites I use to check on deals are www.gotapex.com and www.dealnews.com

There are some awesome deals on those sites for laptops, I may have to
get one of those as well!

Thanks for all the info,
Björn