[ale] OT: How different is z/OS from Linux/Unix?

Smeadspam smeadspam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 07:33:18 EST 2010

The command set and environment are quite different.  Though, I've
noticed commanalities that allow for translations (concepts like on disk
structures, storage, I/O channels, console controls and programming).  A
good book that get's passed around our office is Murcach's OS/390 and
z/OS JCL (ISBN: 1-890774-14-6).  This will give you a broad overview of
the environment and how to work with JCL on the system.  I've found also
found it instructional to load the Turnkey MVS 3.8J on a PC to put
"eyeballs" onto certain concepts about a mainframe's environment
(emulating punch card readers, DASD's, and Tape drives - no ISPF editing
though).  The turnkey environment also helped when loading linux onto a
hercules emulator system with regards to I/O channel definition, CPU
emulation, et al.

William