[ale] [OT] vocabulary flashcards ajax delicious thing

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Tue Mar 2 21:29:59 EST 2010

I marked this as offtopic because although it has a backend
written in perl and running on a Linux host, this ajax app is
of interest to natural language learners.

  https://cat.he.net/~ecashin/flashcards/

I'm really enjoying the chance to review the vocabulary
I've been accumulating over the past few years, but I'm
afraid this app is too geeky for normal people, so I'm
announcing it here.

Background:
I've been reading a lot of French stuff and looking up words
on wordreference.com.  Then I make a delicious bookmark
for the page that wordreference.com gives me.  Now I have
almost 400 words, and they're exactly what I need to know:
words I don't know that I came across in real life.

After doing some documentation at work that used jQuery
to create an expandable outline, I was ready to make something
I'd been wanting for a while---a flashcards app.  It uses jQuery
for the browser side and a simple perl CGI on the back end.

The back end doesn't store any real information besides
the delicious username.  The only other stuff is a pair of
lists: seen and unseen.  Those lists contain md5
hashes from delicious for all the vocabulary bookmarks.

Please let me know if you try it.  I'd love to hear comments
or questions.  I made it for myself, but I don't think it will be
confusing to people who are familiar with delicious.com.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/