[ale] Backup software

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Wed Jun 30 17:39:24 EDT 2010

On Wed June 30 2010, scott wrote:
> option 1) hack through the issues with Mondo and use it to create .ISOs
> of system.  You can give it a nas share (like NFS) and mondo will create
> the .ISOs there then you can burn them to DVDs, CDs, etc later.
> pros: will have CDs (or DVDs) to boot off of and restore the system to
> that point in time configuration. these can be sent to your DR (disaster
> recovery) site for someone else to use in case Atlanta gets hit by a
> hurricane, tornado, earthquake (we are on a fault line, didnt you
> know?), terrorist attack, etc...

I'm in the process now of doing a mondo archive of my system ( something about
sda getting too hot lately:)
I'm not getting a warm-fuzzy that this will work. During the setup it asked
about ISO size, and I used the default, I think it was 4480, for a DVD. So
far it has created 2 ISO files, and i burned the first to a DVD. It
complained that the data wouldn't fit, yet when I insert the DVD & do
properties it shows the right file size ( I think).

from a terminal window this is what it shows:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6824546304 Jun 30 16:31 paulandcilla-1.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6467588096 Jun 30 17:14 paulandcilla-2.iso

so, how does that much data fit on a 4.7Gb DVD ?
I have a spare system that I am going to do the restore on, after it finishes,
and this looks like the right program to do it with!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800