[ale] PC shut off

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Tue Jun 29 10:16:41 EDT 2010

Hello Paul,

> On Tue June 29 2010, Robert Reese wrote:
>> It also may have overheated due to failing fan, dust accumulation

> failing fan maybe, but I'd get some indication in smartmon that the temps went
> up, I didn't get that..

>  hmmm. grep SMART syslog.0:

> Jun 28 21:44:40 paulandcilla smartd[6173]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage
> Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 108 to 107

> Jun 29 04:38:20 paulandcilla smartd[4690]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage
> Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 120 to 109

/dev/sda is cooking: 107°C ~~ 220°F.  120°C ~~ 250°F

> DUST ?? not on MY systems! I used to make my living
> vacuuming PCs... when I worked in DC, I used to get the trouble calls at
> Dept. of Ag ( among others). Those old buildings ventilation system was....
> just about non-existant.

That explains the jokes about the "Hot Air" coming out of DC.

>  So I ALWAYS took my vac & cleaned em out before I
> tried to troubleshoot...

It is amazing how many people are clueless about dust in their computers and the problems it cause.  Not terribly surprising, I guess, since there isn't any mention in any PC manual regarding dust control, or defragmenting their harddrive, or any number of quickly obvious maintenance.  One good thing about rock-bottom PC prices is that I get fewer and fewer requests from friends, family, and other acquaintances to fix their neglected boxes.

Cheers,
Robert~

P.S: Clove Oil (aka Eugenol) is a miracle worker in regards to dental pain... I know very, very well how effective it is.  ;c(  Get it from the pharmacist or find it in the food flavoring section of the grocery store; the bottle will last practically forever and costs just a couple of bucks.  If you can't find it alone,  lot of 'dental repair' kits contain it.  BTW, Q-Tips are nearly perfect, as is a little tuft of cotton ball wrapped around the tip of a toothpick to get into the tight spots.  Also, be aware it can, and will, cause 'burning' of soft tissue with over-use.  One thing I learned to do was to dilute it in some water and use it as a 'mouthwash' (thereby making your whole mouth numb) when I felt adding more pure clove oil would be unadvised.

And best wishes on the labor front!!  Hey, have you thought about making Android apps?