[ale] Good think clients to use for house automation/kids/tv

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Fri Jun 25 08:31:13 EDT 2010

not the smallest form factor but excellent thin clients, especially if
you score oben box deals:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167037&cm_re=msi_wind_barebone-_-56-167-037-_-Product

MSI Wind

Jetway has something similar.
With patience you can get either as an "open box" for around $100. You
can get dedicated thin clients but you are paying for the reduction in
size.

Make sure that he has gigabit connections all the way to the server. You
really can't do thin clients over wireless. If they need to be wireless,
you/he will need to put at least the os and apps locally.

Use Edubuntu as it has all the pieces set up. Fedora also has a good
ltsp setup - look up the k12linux project. There are others, too, of
course in Suse and Debian flavors.

The server has plenty of horsepower for the clients. No worries there.

regards,
William

written on my MSI thin client running F13