[ale] Good think clients to use for house automation/kids/tv

jrtroberts jrtroberts at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 02:07:19 EDT 2010

I am working with a friend of mine to slowly get his house setup for
home automation.  He is trying to get his house setup as a demo house
for home automation packages, an entrepreneurial business he owns.  He
is not the most tech savvy guy I have ever met, but he has some money
and a strong desire to make this work.  I was hoping that someone at ALE
has had some experience with thin clients and home automation with linux.

He has two daughters in grade school and would like them to have thin
clients in their rooms.  He would also like to have streaming video to
his TV's and possibly some other thin clients for things such as
security management, lighting control, sprinkler control, and anything
else he can roll into the home automation package.  I am aware that he
may not need thin clients for all of this, but I would still like to
understand my options.

His primary system is an Ubuntu 9.10x64 desktop system.  Because issues
with the mobo and 10.04 we cannot upgrade until drivers and other issues
are figured out on the linux side.  It is a core2 quad with 8 gigs of
ram, 2 gig nics, and plenty of storage capacity.  I am hoping that
setting up roaming user accounts and terminal services is a fairly
straight forward task.  Whether it is or not, I could use some input on
this subject as well.

The more important issue is pricing or building the thin clients.  Is
there a good company to look into when buying thin clients for this type
of environment.  I am very inexperienced with this type of hardware and
generally inexperienced with linux as whole.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Joshua Roberts