[ale] Fwd: Survey help needed from Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 11:09:58 EDT 2010

Last call for survey help

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Toni Ferro <tdferro at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:03 AM
Subject: Re: Survey help needed from Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
To: jim.kinney at gmail.com

Hey Jim,

I'm wondering if you could post one final message from me on the survey.

Just a final message to thank you for your help with our survey about the
internet.  Our research group conducts this survey every year so we can
understand how people are using the internet for work and how internet use
is changing.  Your feedback has been really helpful.

The survey will close at the end of the day tomorrow (Tuesday, June 21st).
 So, if you haven't answered yet, there is still time.

Survey URL: https://catalysttools.washington.edu/webq/survey/commprac/105691<https://catalysttools.washington.edu/webq/survey/commprac/104730>

Thanks again for your help.

Toni

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Toni Ferro <tdferro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Toni Ferro, and I'm  a grad student in the Department of Human
> Centered Design and Engineering at the University of Washington. We're
> gathering information on how advanced high tech users (like the members of
> ALE) use publicly available online services (like Basecamp, Google docs,
> etc.).  We ran the survey in 2008 and 2009 with other online groups and got
> great feedback. I've been really impressed with the ALE group activity and
> would love see more about how they're using technology in their work life.
>
> In the academic world we are somewhat out of the loop with what happens in
> the real world and feedback from ALE would really help. (Also, we tend to
> get a lot of responses from people in SF, New York, and LA and it would be
> great to get some info from people in Atlanta.)  Would you be willing to
> post a brief message and the survey URL to the group? I've included the text
> below. Either way, let me know if you think this would be suitable to put to
> the ALE group members. I'm also happy to answer any additional questions
> about our research group or our research in general.
>
> Thanks for your time!
>
> Toni
>

> ______________
> Survey Invitation Text:
>

> Hey everyone,
>
> I am a graduate student at University of Washington working toward
> my degree in Human Centered Design and Engineering. I'm currently involved
> in a research group that is interested in the use of Internet-based
> applications to support work (not socializing). I would really appreciate it
> if you would participate in my online survey. It's completely anonymous and
> should take less than 10 minutes to complete. Your quick contribution would
> be very valuable to my research group.
>
> Survey URL:
> https://catalysttools.washington.edu/webq/survey/commprac/105691<https://catalysttools.washington.edu/webq/survey/commprac/104730>
>

> Our lit review showed that there isn't a lot of data on how people
> are using Internet-based applications in the work world, even with all
> the buzz about Google Docs, Basecamp, etc. We're focusing on
> tech-savvy populations to see if we can provide baseline information about
> how applications like these are being used in the professional world. If you
> can spare a few minutes to fill this out, it would really be beneficial to
> us.
>
> Feel free to send me any questions about the group or the survey.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Sincerely, Toni Ferro UW grad student

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992