[ale] Working with custom hardware/microcontrollers

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Sun Jun 20 23:29:53 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 09:12:52PM -0400, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> Multiple humidity sensors, multiple temperature senors, dampers...
> Heck, maybe even a methane sensor ;-)

Always an interesting idea to zone. This page discusses a $10 DIY solution
using a standard damper and a servo motor:

http://diy-zoning.sourceforge.net/Advanced/dampers.html

BAJ

> On 6/20/10, Tom Freeman <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:
> > You know - the idea of a home thermostat being self built rather appeals
> > to me. Possibly something with one or more humidity sensors as well as
> > temperature.
> >
> > On Sun, 20 Jun 2010, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> >
> >> A few things, most of which I haven't completed:
> >> * blinky toys for the kids.
> >> * POV (persistance of vision) gadgets
> >> * PWM (pulse width modulation) circular LED array (police light with
> >> no moving parts)
> >> * time lapse video with digital camera
> >> * automatic modem and router power cycler when external server becomes
> >> unreachable
> >> * home brewing automation (open/close valves, adjust flame, detect and
> >> prevent boil over, lower/raise sack of hops, time everything
> >> precisely, etc.)
> >> * DIY digital thermostat
> >> * DIY home security system
> >> * network attached IR blaster (for browser based or command line remote
> >> control)
> >> * automatic home theater source switcher
> >>
> >> The possibilities are endless. My free time isn't.

> >> --
> >> .!# RichardBronosky #!.

> Sent from my mobile device
>
> .!# RichardBronosky #!.

Byron A. Jeff
Program Coordinator: IT/CS/CNET
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://cims.clayton.edu/bjeff