[ale] [OT] cartoon on BP spill blame

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Jun 18 15:51:29 EDT 2010

Well, yes and no with respect to whether or not the government should
set artificial milage limits on vehicle manufacturers. I'd prefer to
see a "carbon tax" at the point of entry for any and all products based
upon either natural gas, petrolium, or coal: proceeds to said tax to go
to retiring public debt. Well, purchasing some alternative renuable
technology would tempt me mightaly(sp?) also. Said carbon tax to rise
by 0.5% or so every month that the base price of fossel carbon
sources fails to rise or actually falls on the international market.
Problem I see with such a move is getting it past legislators (and
their parasitic lobbyests) without loopholes large enough to drive an
entire economy through.

Failing that, artifical milage goals are slightly better than nothing.
although the point can be argued that the distortion on car design is a
bad thing.

YMWV of course.