[ale] Deja-Dup

Mark Wright m.perry.wright at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 11:17:37 EDT 2010

I back up to my Moms mac mini.  Deja - Dup will take an ip address
and port.  I had to mess with her dsl modem/router to get through it
but it wasn't too hard.

I was just using a usb disk but my mom bought a new Mac (she'd been
using Ubuntu for years on free hardware) and I wanted to get her on a
backup schedule.  I though I could have Apples backup software point
to a PC at my house and then realized that I could do the same with
my backups.

So we are protected from fire flood (she's on a hill) and wind but
not a nuclear attack.

Amazon does look like a good deal if you don't have a friend willing
to open a port to you.  The pricing is a bit hard to understand but
looks cheap.  I backup 1.5 gig off my desktop and I think Amazons
price works out to about .30 a month with .01 per query or update.
So $3.65 for daily backups of .30 a month of data is only about
another $3.60 per year.  === $7.25 per year??   You cant beat that
with a USB stick.  Am I reading this right?

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#pricing

I set up some folks on Carbonite at $55 a year and actually that
seems pretty reasonable.  Except carbonite only caters to the dark
side (closed side) of the world at the moment.

Mark Wright
m.perry.wright at gmail.com