[ale] linux wins again

jrtroberts jrtroberts at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 21:49:08 EDT 2010

A buddy of mine had me build him a computer.  I gave him a price list
for parts, he decided to go cheaper on a mobo, which is probably the
main source of the problem I was having.
I started him off with Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit  worked like a charm.  Got
three monitors on two video cards working.  Recognized the 8gigs of
ram.  Ran like a dream.  He decided that the videos he was watching
didn't play very well in vlc.  He wanted his Windows Media Player back.
So I tried installing win7 pro x64 instead, per his request.  It would
not load the installer with the 8 gigs of ram or with the two video
cards.  So had to strip out half the ram and the pcie video card to get
it running.  Long irksome task of troubleshooting.  And the Bios is Uber
limited in features.  (in case your wondering here is the mobo

  ASUS P5N-VM WS/TW100-E5 LGA 775 NVIDIA Integrated Quadro FX470 uATX
  Intel Core2 processors / Pentium D / Pentium 4 /Celeron CPU / 45nm,
  Core 2 Extreme/Core 2 Quad/Core 2 Duo Server Motherboard - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131385  )

Well, the copy of win7x64 is genuine and not pirated and it was free...
msdn has an academic site where they allow students to download free
copies of their os's. (  And win7x64 would not work with 8gigs of ram on
that mobo, but ubuntu does, it will not support two nvidia video cards,
but ubuntu does, and it is generally a pain in the ass, which ubuntu can
be, but not as a matter of course and design.
 *(GRR!)*
So, ubuntux64 is going back on it this weekend with win7x86 in a vm, or
maybe xp instead.  Gotta have that media player!!
Besides that he likes everything else about Ubuntu, well except for no
Exchange...
And Novell is free and clear from the grasps of SCO.

+++ Linux wins again. +++
Joshua Roberts