[ale] OT: BSOD

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 10:48:41 EDT 2010

from knoppix disk:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

That will toss the hard drive boot sector in the trash.

Now try the XP cd again.

If it still fails, use knoppix and dd the first 10k or so blocks to blow
away the partitions from XP.

If THAT fails, open the drive cover and make the disk platter into a wind
chime. Replace the hard drive and reinstall XP as a virtual machine inside a
nice Linux environment and stop letting the kids play so many games :-)

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:06 AM, C Hendry <gchendry at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Sorry to bring up the hated BSOD, but I'm a bit stumped.
>

> History:
>
> My kids computer (Windose XP) had the antivirus (F-Prot) expire and got
> infected.
>
> I updated the antivirus and also ran Spy-Hunter. I cleaned all that was
> found, then rebooted, got BSOD
>

> Blue Screen says:
>

> A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
> damage to your computer.
>
> If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your
> computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
>
> check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives
> or hard drive controller. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly
> configured and terminated run chkdsk /f to check for hard driver  corruption,
> and then restart your computer.
>

> technical information:
>

> *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF793B524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>

> What I have done.
>

> Booted from a Windows XP CD, still got BSOD
>
> Discounted HD, booted from a Windows XP CD, still got BSOD
>
> Booted from Knoppix CD, booted up fine and worked great.
>
> Restored CMOS to factory default, booted with Win XP, still got BSOD
>
> Removed memory one module at a time as well as switched them around, booted
> from a Windows XP CD, still got BSOD
>
> Switched HD (SATA II) port , still the same BSOD
>

> Need some help as to the next direction?
>
> Note, swipes at not using Linux is to be expected :)
>

> Thanks
>

> Chris

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992