[ale] weird error when updating Fedora 12

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 17:50:28 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> > on a fresh install, just reinstall and set the /boot part to be bigger.
> > The default /boot in F12 is too small for an easy upgrade to F13 anyway
> > so make it 250M
>
> That's what I'm going to do.  For now, archived /boot, unmounted it,
> populated /boot directory with the archived data and commented out /boot
> in /etc/fstab.  Updating as we speak.
>
> By the way, the default / size is too small too.  I think it's like 4G,
> and the initial install leaves it over 80% full.  Not much room left to
> install any goodies.  Poor design there RH.

Strange. Default RH is 100M /boot and a single LV with / and swap with / =
all the drive less swap.

Unless you have more than 50GB RAM (in which case I'll be over in about 30
minutes!) / should be huge. Sounds like the VM environment is fubarred.

> > On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com
> > <mailto:lists at serioustechnology.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     rs at ale.spam.futz.org <mailto:rs at ale.spam.futz.org> wrote:
> >      >> At least 12MB needed on the /boot filesystem.
> >      >>
> >      >> The weird thing is, there's 16MB available in /boot.
> >      >>
> >      >> No joy with Google.  Anyone seen this before?  Have a solution,
> >     other
> >      >> then reinstall with a larger /boot?
> >      >
> >      > remove some old kernels from /boot?
> >
> >     There's only one kernel in there now.  This is a fresh install and it
> >     was the default chosen by Fedora.
> >
> >     I think I'll move /boot over to /home and as it has much more space
> >     available to see if it really is a space issue.
> >
> >     --
> >     Until later, Geoffrey
> >
> >     "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> >     the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> >     the pretense of taking care of them."
> >     - Thomas Jefferson
> >

> > --
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III
> > Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness
> > Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> the pretense of taking care of them."
> - Thomas Jefferson

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits