[ale] OT: Roku

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri Jun 4 09:29:12 EDT 2010

On Fri June 4 2010, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I've tried them on my Ubuntu box and they are definitely faster than
> what Atlantic Nexus is providing but I'm not sure how this will affect
> streaming.   I'm not sure how the streaming protocol works but I can not
> imagine the Roku constantly needing to resolve names to communicate back
> to  Amazon or Netflix.  I guess I should create a mirror port on my
> Cisco switch and use wireshark to see how many DNS queries the box is
> sending.

for a very long time I've had issue with iceweasel taking too long to load. I
thought it was just overloaded with cruft... so I started using Chrome. I am
beginning to think it was partly cruft, and partly DNS.. I have changed
my /etc/resolv.conf & interfaces files to show opendns servers FIRST. i even
signed up for the free opendns account & added my static IP. SO FAR,
everything seems fine.... I keep telling my wife to leave the browser open &
minimized, yet she keeps closing it, and crying when it takes 5 seconds to
load the home page.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800