[ale] windows virus?

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Jun 3 15:44:02 EDT 2010

On Thu June 3 2010, Robert Reese wrote:
> > wine startup... hmm... not sure what that would be...
>
> I don't either, actually.  I did make an assumption about Wine allowing
> automatic starting of applications, and I also assumed that Wine itself
> would also automatically start by default.

I think I found the right folder & files under ~/.wine
.wine$ ls -l
total 1428
drwxr-xr-x 2 pbc pbc    4096 Jan  1 14:43 dosdevices
drwxr-xr-x 5 pbc pbc    4096 Jul  7  2008 drive_c
-rw-r--r-- 1 pbc pbc 1369125 Feb 13 13:51 system.reg
-rw-r--r-- 1 pbc pbc    2540 Feb 13 13:51 userdef.reg
-rw-r--r-- 1 pbc pbc   66962 Feb 13 13:51 user.reg

> Of course, if both of these assumptions are true AND the malware was still
> there and set to start automatically, then you would have found the
> conditions repeated.
I grepped for almost everything in that malware filename with no success so I
ASSuME it is gone, but I haven't had a reason to start wine, or whatever
scenario I ran, I can't duplicate..

> I'll now assume that at least one of those conditions were false. :cD

too many double negatives for me to figure out, but I THINK it is gone:)

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800