[ale] BP knew of problems 11 months before the rig blew-further OT

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Thu Jun 3 10:46:03 EDT 2010

Having been an accountant in a previous life I can tell you that short
term actual profits almost always override potential long term costs.
It used to amaze me that people even bothered doing 5 year projects
given that they clearly weren't expecting to have to meet numbers that
far out.

That is to say if you tell your CEO it will cost you $5,000,000 and 6
more months to do it "right" as opposed to generating $100,000 a day
starting tomorrow "as is" he'll almost always choose starting tomorrow.

In this case BP's own internal procedures prohibited them from doing
what they did so they actually petitioned the government to be allowed
to do it against their own procedures.   Although I heard that little
tidbit repeated in a report the other night 3 times I never heard the
report indicate which pinhead in the government approved the petition.
(I'm assuming they did as they also didn't say that the government did
NOT approve the petition.)