[ale] slackware, the most...LINUX-like?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 17:51:04 EDT 2010

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I must admit I have my very first slackware CD's still..
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/spotlight-linux-slackware-linux-13?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:
> +linuxjournalcom+(Linux+Journal+-+The+Original+Magazine+of+the+Linux+Community)
>
> Spotlight on Linux: Slackware Linux 13.1
> Jun 01, 2010	  By Susan Linton
<snipped>
> Disadvantages:
> 1. Off-putting partitioning and installer
> 2. No live CD/DVD
> 3. Still uses Lilo for boot management
> 4. Lacks multimedia codecs

Salix!!!

http://www.salixos.org/

Download the LiveCD (http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/files/13.0/)
and use the GUI installer along with GParted to install Salix.  Then
click 'install multimedia codecs' in the menu to have Gslapt install them.

Salix OS is fully backward compatible with Slackware and uses the
slapt-get package management (like apt-get) with Slackware's .tgz/.txz
package format, but adds dependency resolution capabilities.  Gslapt
provides a GUI frontend for slapt-get.

Salix does use lilo, but GRUB 2 is available for install according to
the roadmap (http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/SalixLive_Roadmap).

oh, I bought a 'Slackware Unleashed' or some such a year or so back
because it had a Slackware 3.5(?) CD included and I wanted it because it
was the oldest I could remember that started using ELF binaries at the
time.  :)

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/