[ale] Flaky Wireless Connectivity

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 09:34:53 EDT 2010

you need to see if they are on the same channel. If so, it will get confused
and keep[ trying to connect to the loudest signal on the channel - the bad
one in the home.

Try either changing the channel on the home one to either channel 2 or 10
or, since the outward connection is flaky anyway, just turn off the radio.

On a 30% signal, the connection will be difficult so a clear line of sight
at a window is best.

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:55 PM, m-aaron-r <aaron at pd.org> wrote:

> I gave a friend in need an old IBM Think Pad with Ubuntu 9.10 on it.
> He's appreciative and loves tinkering with Linux and Free Software
> on both his desktop and his portable. He did the in-place updates
> to 10.04 LTS on the laptop while house sitting for me last week, which
> may or may not have anything to do with a problem we are having
> with wireless.
>
> The WiFi hardware here is a Proxima PCMCIA a/b/g wireless card
> that I included with the gifted laptop.
>
> The card is finding signal and connecting just fine with the wireless
> routers at our respective homes -- one open, the other password
> protected.  Unfortunately, the actual internet connection to the WiFi
> router at HIS home is in need of monetary repair, so he is needing
> to be a bandwidth mooch at the moment.
>
> The laptop / wireless card also finds the (open) WiFi signal at his
> local coffee house BUT, for some odd reason, we cannot connect
> to it. Signal is not the strongest, but it is registering about 30%
> (which is comparable to the signal strength when we successfully
> connected to the wifi at his home).
>
> So WTF mates?  Any magic tricks to try?
>
> Help appreciated as always!
> peace
> aaron

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.