[ale] [OT] ping

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Jul 19 00:35:19 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-07-18 at 22:36 -0400, Björn Gustafsson wrote:
> Missing the OT posts, Aaron?
>
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:30 PM, m-aaron-r <aaron at pd.org> wrote:
> > ECHO ... ECHo ... ECho ... Echo ... echo ...
>
> Speaking of ping, what's your preferred network testing tool?  Surely
> mtr is more widely used on Linux nowadays than just ping.

For me, it depends on what I am doing.  I use ping the most, because it
tells me what I need to know 99% of the time: is the host both reachable
and alive?  If not, I will usually use mtr to see if the problem is the
host itself or somewhere between me and the host in question.

I _love_ mtr, however "ping -c4 hostname.example.org" is so ingrained in
my "muscle memory"---and it does the job that I need 99% of the
time---that I still just use it as a matter of reflex.

	--- Mike