[ale] droid bricks if mod'ed

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 12:18:21 EDT 2010

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/07/15/1317205/Droid-X-Self-Destructs-If-You-Try-To-Mod

So the Motorola Droid I bought doesn't really belong to me. Somewhere I
missed the "and Motorola reserves the right to destroy your device on a
whim" clause in the paperwork when I bought the it.

<tinfoil hat>since verizon can push any update to the phone, it is possible
to brick this thing remotely for "Terms of Service" violations as well. The
"Internet kill switch" has been pushed out to the users. What does the
iphone, blackberry and the htc series of stuff have?</tinfoil hat>

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.