[ale] looking for a very lightweight distro

jrtroberts jrtroberts at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 01:46:35 EDT 2010

On 07/14/10 22:13, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> You can download a 10MB (!!!) ISO of TinyCore Linux to run in a
> VirtualBox VM. It boots in less than a second! Once booted you can use
> its built it package manager to install a few packages and then choose
> "Burn USB Drive" to create a thumb drive you can boot from. I would
> suggest pulling the drives out to save power. Using a P2 is likely to
> cost a lot more in energy in 1 year than you would spend on an SBC.

After looking into wireless routers that will run dd-wrt, I am thinking
it might be better to go with something like the Linksys E series
routers, probably the E2000 or E3000.  This will upgrade the wireless b
to n and give me the gigabit connection I might need in the future.
Thoughts?  Not that the linux box is not a valid option, but if I can
get a network upgrade out of the deal it seems like a better choice.

I will; however, take a look at the distros listed in this thread and
become more familiar with them.  And I might even setup the linux box
with 2 or more nics just for fun.